May 2, 2011 4:19:45 AM PDT
(Reposted from an email I received from Ana Hoffman – her website offers an awesome free enews letter – find it here: http://www.trafficgenerationcafe.com)
For everybody who wants to increase their social media
traffic by improving retweetability INSTANTLY,
here are some practical tips to get you there.
1. Hours of the day: Peak tweet hours – business hours (between
9am-5pm; I guess that’s one of the very few advantages of having a
J.O.B. – you get paid for tweeting). Peak retweet hours – 3pm to
Moral: if you want to be read, tweet in the morning; if you want to
be retweeted, tweet at night.
2. Days of the week: The worst day for RT is Sunday; it picks up
from there and peak RT day of the week is Friday, going back down
3. Use links: Tweets with links are retweeted much more often -
meaning: send your social media generated traffic to good content.
4. Use Bit.ly: Bit.ly URL shorteners are retweeted the most
(tinyurl is retweeted the least – don’t ask me why).
5. Length: forget 140 characters, the shorter the better. 120
characters is the new maximum if you have any chance to be
6. Use hashtags: using existing hashtags greatly increases your
findability by Twitter users and Twitter bots alike.
7. Short profile names help. This one is optional, but very helpful
for obvious reasons. The shorter your name is the more space you
leave for retweeting.
8. Punctuation matters: Overwhelming 93% of all retweets contain
proper punctuation in them, particularly colons and periods. So pay
attention to those small details.
9. Most Retweetable (read: generate the most targeted traffic)
Words & Phrases social media increase your targeted website traffic
1. you 11. please retweet
2. twitter 12. great
3. please 13. social media
4. retweet 14. 10
5. post 15. follow
6. blog 16. how to
7. social 17. top
8. free 18. blog post
9. media 19. check out
10. help 20. new blog post
As you can see, the word “YOU” ranks as number one – a reminder
that we all like to be talked to on a personal level. If you are
talking to “me”, then I am more likely to retweet you.
The word “PLEASE” is very important. If you want to be retweeted,
ask for it and be polite while you are at it.
Tweeting about your new blog posts, particularly on social media,
is a smart thing to do as well.
10. Least Retweetable (read: generate the least amount of targeted
1. game 11. well
2. going 12. sleep
3. haha 13. gonna
4. lol 14. hey
5. but 15. tomorrow
6. watching 16. tired
7. work 17. some
8. home 18. back
9. night 19. bored
10. bed 20. listening
As you can see, if you are talking about “you”, like telling
someone we are going to bed and such, you won’t be retweeted.
Generally, the -ing verbs, like “going”, “watching”, “listening”
won’t get retweets either.